Accelerating housing delivery is a key ambition in the South East Strategic Economic Plan, with a commitment to accelerate housing delivery by an additional 100,000 homes by 2021. With strong District, Unitary and County councils in the SE LEP area, our aim is to add value to the excellent work already underway to deliver new housing.
SELEP is the 1st LEP nationally to be awarded Housing Business Ready status by the HFi. Working collaboratively to accelerate housing delivery. With 10,600 completed homes in 2015/16 an increase of 33%.
Housing and Finance Institute (HFi) Chief Executive Natalie Elphicke said:
“SELEP very much deserve to be the first of their kind to be awarded Housing Business Ready status. Their excellent contributions to the Housing Business Ready programme has demonstrated their appetite for working closely with businesses and councils to ensure economic growth and housing stability for their region.”
Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government, Sajid Javid, has praised the work of the SELEP highlighting the success in thinking beyond the boundaries of its growth deal, and in particular for being awarded ‘Housing Business Ready’ status by the HFi.
Speaking about SELEP, Sajid Javid said: “It’s working with councils, planners, developers and regulators to make sure utilities and infrastructure are provided where they’re needed right across the region. “The unique nature of a LEP means it can do this across traditional local authority boundaries and across both the public and private sector.
SE LEP aims to:
• Bring together all parties (HFi, HCA, councils, developers, finance, utilities) involved to drive development forward Working together with HFi, local councils, the HCA and developers to promote housing growth, assembling evidence, identifying obstacles and finding solutions
• Support Growth Ambitions SELEP provide support and advocacy to areas with ambitious growth plans including Ebbsfleet Garden City, North Essex Garden Settlement and Otterpool Park
• Encourage and support councils to bring forward their local plans Delivering a series of SELEP sponsored Housing Business Ready visits with housing and planning authorities to highlight the contribution that the local authorities can play in promoting accelerated housing delivery
• Review the performance of utility companies Working collaboratively with HFi, Kent Developers Group, KCC, Development East Sussex, TGSE Developers Forum and other interested parties to gather evidence of performance and taking action in liaison with Government and regulators to ensure utility companies help - not hinder - local growth
• Promote best practice Supporting events and meetings to share best practice and information sharing to support all to the standard of the best, this has helped in widening opportunity for joint working with business through new Developers forums in East Sussex and Essex based on the successful Kent Developers Group
• Look across LEP boundaries Looking at the plans and proposals of neighbouring LEPs and their impact in preparing for accelerated growth
• Promote the accelerated delivery Homes
SE LEP is working in partnership with the HCA, HFi and other partners to raise awareness of the opportunities to accelerate housing delivery.
Those areas involved in the Housing Finance Institute ‘Housing Business Ready’ programme include:
Original cohort who have completed the programme and been awarded ‘Housing Business Ready status’:
Ashford Maidstone Braintree Colchester Eastbourne Thurrock
New Coastal:Cohort awarded ‘Housing Business Ready Status’
With work in progress: